The United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia reported fresh drone attacks yesterday.

Emirati air defenses intercepted two drones but a third struck an electrical generator on the edge of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant, on the Gulf coast relatively close to the Saudi border.

Emirati officials said a fire erupted but no one was injured and no radiation was released.

It is not clear if the plant was targeted.

Emirati authorities said the three drones were launched from the “western border,” obliquely suggesting the involvement of Iraqi Shia militias closely linked to the Iranian regime’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).

Saudi Arabia said it intercepted three drones launched at its territory from Iraq.

The IRGC and its Iraqi proxies have staged sporadic drone attacks on the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and to a lesser extent Bahrain and Qatar since Iran and the United States implemented a ceasefire on 8 April.

The drone attacks are meant to keep the Gulf Arab countries off balance.

With the US and Iran unable to reach an agreement on ending the war, the drone menace risks becoming a new normal.

Reports emerged last week that the US and Israel were carrying out intense preparations for renewing airstrikes against Iran.

The IRGC was unable to respond to devastating US and Israeli bombing of regime leadership and military and strategic assets that began on 28 February and continued for 38 days.

But the regime survived, emerging with significant leverage by choking ship traffic through the Strait of Hormuz, the narrow waterway at the mouth of the Gulf through which 20 percent of global oil supplies and other important commodities normally pass.

It is unclear what further US and Israeli bombing might achieve.

The Gulf Arab countries routinely are arresting people, including Westerners, who share cell phone videos of or social media posts about local military assets and Iranian missile and drone impacts. 

Israel and the Lebanese government on Friday extended their ceasefire agreement for 45 more days, keeping in place the lull in fighting between Israeli forces and the Lebanese Shia militia Hizbollah, an Iranian proxy.

Despite the ceasefire, fighting has rekindled in the past three weeks, with Israel on 6 May staging an airstrike in Beirut for the first time since the ceasefire went into effect on 16 April.  

Full-scale hostilities between Israel and Hizbollah almost certainly would re-erupt if the US-Iran ceasefire collapses.